- display the name list (symbol table) of a binary (object file or fully linked program)
- Each symbol name is preceded by its value (blanks if undefined).
- Unless the -m option is specified, this value is followed by one of the following characters, representing the symbol type:
- U - undefined
- A - absolute
- T - text section symbol
- D - data section symbol
- B - bss section symbol
- C - common symbol
- S - symbol in a section other than those above
- I - indirect symbol
- If the symbol is local (non-external), the symbol's type is instead represented by the corresponding lowercase letter.
- A lower case u in a dynamic shared library indicates a undefined reference to a private external in another module in the same library.
- program used to demangle (translate) symbols contained in a c++ application