- Paragraphs - a skipped line between text
- Headings - # at the beginning of the line, number of hashes correspond with heading number, e.g., ### =
- Blockquote - > at the beginning of the line
- Italic - surround by a single asterisk, *
- Bold - surround by a double asterisk, **
- Strikethrough - surround by double tilde, ~~
- Unordered lists - begin line with single asterisk or dash, followed by space
- Ordered lists - begin line with number
- Tables - make dividing lines with pipes and dashes
- Alignment within table column indicated by colon in crossbar separating header and data
- :-- = left aligned, :--: center, --: right
- ``` - triple backtick denotes beginning and end of code segment
- Put language name after first ``` to get syntax highlighting
- hyperlink: [link text](http://linkurl.com)
- image: ![alt text](/path/to/img.jpg "Title")
- Place an anchor
<a name="abcd"></a> where you want to link to and refer to it on the same page by [link text](#abcd).
- Remote references can use [link text](http://...#abcd) of course.
### <a name="head1234"></a>A Heading in this SO entry!